Know Yourself Intro & Ramana Maharishi

Ramana Maharshi, a renowned Indian spiritual teacher, emphasized the importance of self-inquiry as a means to know oneself. He taught that true self-realization and liberation could be attained by delving deeply into the nature of one’s own consciousness.

Self-inquiry involves turning one’s attention inward and asking the question, “Who am I?”

Rather than seeking external solutions or distractions, he encouraged individuals to investigate the source of their own thoughts and sense of identity.

According to Maharshi, the true self, or the “I,” is not the body, mind, or personality, but a pure and unchanging awareness that underlies all experiences. He taught that realizing this essential nature leads to liberation from suffering and the illusion of separateness.

Maharshi emphasized the importance of abiding in the self, or maintaining a continuous awareness of one’s true nature. By cultivating a state of self-awareness, one transcends the limitations of the ego and experiences a profound sense of peace and unity.

Maharshi taught that the ego, which is constructed through identification with thoughts, emotions, and the body, is the primary source of suffering and bondage. He encouraged individuals to observe the ego and its tendencies without attachment, allowing it to dissolve through self-inquiry and self-surrender.

Maharshi believed that profound understanding and self-realization could be attained in the silence of the mind. He encouraged seekers to transcend the constant mental chatter and abide in the stillness of pure awareness, recognizing that all answers lie within.

Maharshi emphasized the role of grace in the process of self-realization. He taught that surrendering to a higher power or the divine will can open the door to deeper self-awareness and facilitate the dissolution of the ego.

Through these practices, he guided individuals on a transformative journey of self-discovery and liberation.

This is going very deep and is an ultimate goal. It is highly recommended.

On other levels there are other tools that can assist one with guidance on how one may know oneself better to guide one through “more practical” aspects of life.

I and I hope others will list more of these tools below.